Notes for Doctor Deviations
In Columbia, PhD defenses, are generally not public, although CS usually allows a student audience. Defense consists of four parts: First, the candidate introduces itself, which connects, a summary of your work, interrupted and followed by questions of the committee. Finally, the committee meets private to discuss the presentation and dissertation.
If most of the committee has read most of its work, you can not assume that each chapter has read.
The committee must be able to assess effects and depth. Normally, the committee has an idea of ??defense, but whatever the student can tell to make this rating easier, the defense is likely to make a lot more smoother.
In general, the entire defense does not take more than two hours, but should take much less time. Part of the challenge of defense is to convince the committee that they can summarize the important points of their work at a very limited time.
- Your presentation (and thesis) must address the following:
- What is the problem Studying?
- Why is it important ?
- What Results have reached ?
- Some committee members want to know if the works were published and where and how he was received. For example, if you have a written software, specify where it is used, either for follow-up or in some production or test environments.
- Have you a list of your thesis-related publications as a foil. Specify all awards that a paper may receive. For most people, it is easier to list some honor as "Brag" about it personally.
- If you have presented your work in a conference or job talks, you should definitely expect the most common questions.
- The committee should be handed over a copy of its slides.
- ready to summarize your background briefly (Bachelor's degree, how long at the university, etc.)
- not more than 30 slides, plus "backup" glide with additional material questions. The most effective way to make their committee members crazy is to be unprepared with a stack of 80 foils and then crazy to skip through them.
- Number your slides, especially if one of your committee members is linked to speakers. Consider using a kind of remote presentation software.
- lines your contributions early.
- If you present your contributions, you absolutely use "I" and not "we" and not "we", so the committee that the committee will know which aspects of work where you were, and group projects.
- Discussions in relatives work very short, but be prepared to ask questions of "how is that of SO-AND-SO-Werkswerk", but also prepared.
- You will not be prompted to prove results again.
- Be ready to support any comparative explanation with facts, especially in certain instructions such as "works better", "faster", "scalable" or "optimal". If you present a log, where do you know that it works properly?
- If you have multiple parts in your dissertation, consult the committee in advance whether it makes sense to trap some of them for the presentation.
Notes on dissertations
- It's better to focus deep in a single area to work on multiple topics, each of which is pursued into a moderate depth.
- Systems must be coupled with the implementation and a kind of numerical comparative analysis to demonstrate the improvements in existing or alternative approaches.
- Your thesis needs a one-sided summary that a Layerson can understand. Test: Give it to a relative of them who has no technical degree.
- They are probably only once a doctoral thesis only once. Their defense is a special occasion, so that they adequately adequately adequately, at least casually, but a suit is not inappropriate.
- It is common, refreshments for the audience, z. B. Coffee, bagels, biscuits and fruits, depending on the daytime.
The role of the members of the PhD Committee
- The committee members (should) read the design of the design (and give feedback). Of course, students appreciate a deep reading, but it is common for the members of the committee to focus on chapters focusing on improving their expertise. Looking depths vary - some offer line specifications, others simply have greater problems that should be addressed ( "Your relative work section in Chapter 10 is a bit sparse and ends in 2005."). Although this is probably not the place to propose "another year of research" is the filling of gaps in order, and I would rather move a defense for a month if necessary. Before the committee gets the thesis, I did a first or sometimes second reading, but the whole point of the committee is to be honest with the counselor (and complementing his knowledge or taste).
- The committee members attend the doctoral thesis, usually personally. Normally, this takes about 90 minutes. Write down with editant improvements (eg "clear that the throughput graph is measured in Gallonen / Minute"). Vote on the result and sign the form.
- If the student is given a number of changes to the implementation, the consultant will help students to work on how they have implemented the changes, much like an author who can react to reviewers for a diary. The committee signs informal or not with these changes. It is not necessary to read the thesis again.
Checklist for the dissertation
(Posts by Ed Coffman, Jonathan Rosenberg and Sal Stolfo.)
Tags: service, writing, affordable, defense, notes, thurs
Setting someone to write my Research Paper - Top Rated Writing Services
Setting Ghostwriter - Top Writing Service
Managing writers - Greatest Essay Service
Setting freelance writers - Greatest Essay Service